Search This Blog

Two weeks of soup

On a very cold day two weeks ago, I decided that in order to simplify my life, and teach my girls to cook in an easy way, we would only have soup for dinner for the next six months. This is not meant to be a punishment to my family. In fact, part of the reason I decided to do it is because every time I serve soup for dinner, my husband says, "I just love soup. I could eat soup for dinner every night." Maybe he said it again two weeks ago, and planted the thought at the opportune moment for me.

** Update: Six months of soup ended up being only two weeks of soup. It was good during that time. Now I am going to start using this blog to record all my recipes and meals. See the label cloud or the table of contents for a directory of entries. Or use the search button to search this site or the web.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Gluten Free and Vegan chocolate Shortbread Cookie

7048297027_59ec9aa0df_zGluten Free and Vegan chocolate Shortbread Cookie
1 c. Shortening ( I used Spectrum Organic)
1 tsp. GF Vanilla
1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract ( I found Watkins brand at Walmart)
1/2 c. tapioca starch
3/4 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. brown rice flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. GF baking powder

Chocolate Glaze
1 12oz bag of dairy free semisweet chocolate chips (I use Trader Joe’s)
2 tsp. shortening (Spectrum Organic)
1 tsp. peppermint extract

Preheat oven to 300. Cream together shortening, vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add remaining ingredients stir until combined. It should be a stiff dough. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Roll out dough on parchment paper dusted with powdered sugar to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut using a small round 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter. Lift from the parchment paper and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Then remove carefully to a cooling rack.
While the cookies finish cooling combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a small microwave safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute and stir. If not completely melted then zap again at 15 sec intervals until melted. Stir in 1 tsp. peppermint extract. Then dip one cookie at a time into the chocolate top side down and then using a fork flip the cookie over, lift out the cookie and gently tap the fork against the edge of the bowl to remove any excess chocolate from the cookie. Place on to a waxed paper lined cookie sheet. When you have dipped all of the cookies you can place the tray of cookies into the refrigerator to help the chocolate quickly set.

No comments:

Post a Comment